Choice MI Choice Waiver Program
The MI Choice Waiver program provides in-home services for low-income, Medicaid-eligible adults who are medically frail and whose care needs would otherwise require nursing home care. Individuals enrolled in the MI Choice Waiver program must meet the requirements for Michigan Medicaid nursing facility level of frailty as determined during a personal in-home assessment, also called a Level of Care Determination.
Eligible adults who meet the income and asset criteria can receive Medicaid-covered services like those provided in nursing homes, but they can stay in their own home, the home of a caregiver, or another residential setting, like an adult foster care, homes for the aged or assisted living facility. All MI Choice Waiver program services are provided free of charge.
CareWell Services Southwest nurse and social worker teams work with participants to develop a person-centered, individualized plan that includes a mix of services appropriate to their needs and preferences. Person-centered means that the needs of the client, their desires, preferences, and goals are given priority as staff work with the client and their caregivers to determine how, when, where, and by whom services are provided.
Services available include:
- Community living supports
- Respite and adult day services
- Home delivered meals
- Homemaker, personal care and chore services
- Home modifications
- Home medical equipment
- Residential services
- Non-medical transportation
- Personal Emergency Response systems (PERS)
- Nursing facility transition services
- Private duty nursing training
- Frail adults or persons with disabilities aged 18 years of age or older
- Must be financially eligible for Medicaid
- Gross (total of all income before any bills are paid and deductions taken) income for applicant cannot exceed approximately $2,200 per month
- Total assets for one person household are limited to approximately $2,000 or below
- Special rules apply for married couples
- Medically eligible for long term care
- Must require a waiver service
CareWell Services administers the MI Choice Waiver Program in Barry, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Kalamazoo, St. Joseph and Van Buren counties. Call us, we’re here to help!
CareWell Services Southwest
200 W. Michigan Avenue, Suite 102
Battle Creek, MI 49017
269-966-2450 or 1-800-626-6719
MI Choice Waiver is a statewide program funded by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MHHS). Additional funding for Area Agency on Aging programs is provided by the Michigan Aging & Adult Services Office and the Calhoun County Senior Millage.