CareWell Services Southwest collaboratively facilitates an elder abuse coalition with the goal of increasing community awareness, education activities, coordination of prevention & intervention, and increasing reporting of elder abuse in Calhoun and Barry counties. The Calhoun County Elder Abuse Prevention Coalition has members representing financial services, senior service providers, law enforcement, adult protective services, advocacy organizations, legal services and private sector business leaders.
Thousands of cases of elder abuse are likely to occur each year in Calhoun County and yet, elder abuse often goes unreported. In fact, only a small fraction of elder abuse incidents are reported each year, leaving seniors vulnerable to continued abuse.
There are many types of elder abuse. Here are some examples.
- Finance or material exploitation is the illegal or improper use of another’s funds, property, or assets.
- Physical abuse is the actual or threatened use of physical force that may result in bodily injury, pain or impairment.
- Sexual abuse is the non-consensual sexual contact of any kind with an older adult.
- Emotional or psychological abuse is the infliction of anguish, pain, or distress through verbal or nonverbal acts.
- Neglect is the refusal or failure to fulfill any part of a person’s obligations or duties to an elder. It also includes self-neglect that results in the risk of harm or injury.
- Abandonment is the desertion of a person by an individual who has assumed responsibility for providing care, or by a person with physical custody of an elder.
- Stealing or withholding medications or food can also qualify as Elder Abuse, exploitation, physical abuse, or neglect.
Visit the National Center on Elder Abuse website for more information on elder abuse.
If you suspect that someone you know is a victim, call the Michigan Adult Protective Services hotline at (855) 444-3911. All calls are confidential.
Links to Useful Information This word document contains website addresses for a variety of educational information on topics related to elder abuse and scams.